Monday, March 3, 2008

Dance Dance

I have a new found love for dance. Growing up I always wanted to take dance classes but I wanted to play sports more. My freshman year of high school I started taking ballroom dancing lessons. I loved it and started competing at the end of my sophomore year. Then that summer my family moved to Lexington and I never had the opportunity to continue on with it. My freshman year of college I took a tap class and loved it. The next semester I took a beginning ballet class and absolutely fell in love. There is something so relaxing and calming about dance. Now I'm a dance minor and trying desperately to learn and keep up with my classmates who have been dancing for years. In my ballet II class there are only two other girls in there with me. Of those two one has been dancing since she was 8 and the other since she was 12. I started at 19. It has been a challenge but there is nothing I don't enjoy more than one of those. Now I have a dance class every day except Sunday and am having so much fun with it.

Recently I have been realizing how I can use this new found creative outlet to worship God. Recently I ran into a passage in 2 Samuel about David dancing to worship God.

David, wearing a linen ephod, danced before the LORD with all his might
2 Samuel 6:14

I had never really thought of dancing as a form of worship. It has taken me a while to realize all of the different ways we can worship God. I had always though of just singing as worship. Occasionally raising my hand as worship. But I have recently I have discovered the freeing feeling of dancing before the LORD with all my might.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

One of my dear friends from college was a dance major and taught dance classes. I loved going to the dance concerts at my school and watching her dance in her group Shekina.