Tuesday, October 9, 2007

What I long to be

Tonight I was sitting on Chunk's couch watching his little girl when I picked up a large coffee table book about Billy Graham sitting to my right. I started reading it couldn't stop. It was amazing what this man did and still does. But what fascinated me most was his wife.

I first found out who the Grahams were this summer when all of the interns were taken on a tour of the Billy Graham Library and Evangelistic Association. Prior to that I had no idea who they were. (I know... who doesn't know who Billy Graham is. Well #1 I was still a relatively new Christian at that time. #2 I'm not from around here.) Well when we went I was shocked. I had no idea that one man had shared the gospel and lead so man people to faith in Christ. It was incredible. Ruth however stuck out to me the entire time. I was in awe of her life and dedication to her husband, her family, but most important Christ.

From the time I left that day, I knew she was someone I wanted to be like. She was such an amazing Christian woman who knew her scripture, prayed constantly, was a wonderful mother who raised her children to love and fear the Lord, and she was such a supportive wife. Not to mention she is quite an accomplished writer. But what impressed me most was how she never forgot to put God first. Her relationship with Christ was the most important thing to her.

I strive to.....
~always remember to put my relationship with Christ first above all else
~diligently study and know scripture
~pray continuously
~use the gifts God has given me to glorify him
~write as passionately as Ruth did
~someday become a godly mother who raises my kids to love and fear the Lord and put Him above all else
~someday be a supportive wife who loves, honors, and builds up my husband so he can do all of the amazing things that God has planned for him
~always grow

1 comment:

Robert Summers said...

I know what you mean. I am most certainly not from the religious south and all this stuff is so new and alien to me. I can't believe how many people here just adore Billy Graham, and I barely heard about him up north. I'm learning though....